posted on 04/15/2011 via
For seniors traveling with disabilities, it is important to make sure that you have the most up-to-date information regarding security screening procedures. Baby boomers will go through the most thorough security screenings for air travel.
Disability-related equipment, aids and devices are allowed through security checkpoints once cleared through screening. Disability-related items include but are not limited to: wheelchairs and tools for wheelchair disassembly/reassembly; walkers; prosthetic devices; any and all diabetes related medication, equipment and supplies; orthopedic shoes; hearing aids; personal supplemental oxygen; and any other disability-related equipment and associated supplies.
Passengers with disabilities, medical conditions, and prosthetic devices do not have to remove their shoes, but those who keep their shoes on will be subjected to additional screening that includes a visual/physical and explosive trace detection sampling of their footwear while the footwear remains on their feet.
Tips for seniors traveling with disabilities:
- Give advance notice to your travel agent if you require assistance at the airport.
- Pack your medications in a separate pouch/bag to make the inspection process easier. To get more information on traveling with medications, read our traveling with medications travel tip
- Make sure all carry-on items; equipment, mobility aids, and devices have an identification tag attached.
- Bring all necessary tools that you require to put on or take off your prosthetic device.
- Check with your doctor to make sure it is safe for you to go through the metal detector or to be handwanded or disconnected.
To read more about traveling with disabilities, go to http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm. If you have concerns about location specific traveling with disabilities, such as hotels, tours and excursions, we recommend contacting the property or company that you booked your travel with directly to ensure you get the correct information for a comfortable and safe vacation.